…Houses, And Other Valuable Properties burnt to Ashes
DELTA-Bight News correspondent reports that a popular kerosene dealer has lost her life to a fire accident as her kerosene caravan went up in flames yesterday morning close to the Post Office area in Eku Town, Ethiope East Local Government Area of Delta State.
The incident which occurred around 7:46am on Saturday morning, has thrown the entire Eku Town into an irresistible melancholy following the fact that, the chief victim was a popular kerosene dealer which earned her the nickname ‘madam Kerosene’ who is well friendly to all and sundry folks around the town.
Our Correspondent gathered from sources that, the chief victim popularly called ‘Madam Kerosene’ because of her business, identified as Mrs. Caroline Ugoh, who hail from Isoko land, has been a long term kerosene merchant over the years in the Eku town, in her usual custom went out with her daughter to test the authenticity of her products when a customer sought for help around 7:30 a.m on Saturday morning.
A firsthand witness who pleaded anonymous told Bight News that the victim was outside doing her normal morning domestic routine with a local kerosene lantern in her hand when she decided to test the originality of the products which where just bought from the market the previous night.
“Like what the person that witness everything said, she was outside doing something close to the caravan of kerosene and was holding those old lamp that uses kerosene, all those old lamp” the source said.
“ And she was testing to see if the kerosene was good or not, because she just bought them from market last night ” she added.
The source also said that, while the victim was still in process of testing, the local lantern caught fire suddenly and in attempt to quench the local lantern, the whole caravan was already in flames before they could step an inch and that ignited the fire which raided the whole place.
“That she was holding lamp now got fire, and before they could put it out, the caravan of kerosene had exploded, and other gallons of kerosene inside the store and in her house too all got up in flames.” The source said.
We also learnt that, there is a gas dealer and an electronic dealer who were also trading in the same line with the victim, the fire accident also claimed their shops down to ashes as even a pin was not recovered.
“Even gas cylinders plant of a ga dealer was there too and electronics store was in the same line with her house and kerosene store.” The source said
“ everything burnt out without picking even a pin out of the shops”the source added.
It was gathered, one Mr. Emakpor Ishegbe who own a shop close to the caravan also lost his shop to the fire accident, the daughter of the kerosene dealer who was reported to be privy to the incident alongside her mother ( the kerosene dealer) also burnt to death.
Other sources reported that, the victim was inside her home, when a customer came soughting for her help early in the morning, she then called on her daughter to assist her block a leaking gallon of the kerosene inside her shop. Upon the arrival of the daughter with a local kerosene lantern in her hand, the lantarn embraced fire and before they could noticed, the whole place was in an uncontrollable inferno.
As at the time of this report, the honorable member representing the area in the Delta State House of Assembly, Hon. Innocent Emosivwe Anidi who is also the minority leader of the Delta State 7th Assembly had visited the scene, to pay a condolence visit to the aggrieved families.
The Delta State minority leader utilizes the medium to caution his constituents against unguided usage of kerosene and other petrol products to avoid further occurrence of such inferno.
In company of the Honorable member representing the Ethiope East Local Government at the hallowed chamber were; the Ethiope East Local Government APC chairman, London Ugbome, the ward Chairman, Mr. Novwie, his campaign spokesman, Mr. Gbaloke and his younger brother Mr. Louis Emuobonuvie Anidi.